I love making Valentine’s crafts, and luckily so do my kids. From hearts to flowers and cute love bugs, there’s something so heart-warming about creating love-themed artwork for someone special. Even more so when it involves their own handprints.
Of course, handprint crafts aren’t always easy with little ones. The child normally plays a passive role – they need to sit still to get a decent print. That’s quite a challenge!
They can then get involved in finishing off their artwork, turning their handprint into an animal, heart or another fun character. But sometimes you need a cute keepsake fast, like when you’ve got a last minute trip to the grandparents. That’s where handprint templates come in!
We designed some adorable Valentines themed artwork, so that all you need to do is the hand printing part. If it doesn’t work out the first time, you can simply print another off and start again. It’s certainly not easy to get a good clean print, so we’ll start off with some tips in this department. It’ll be so worth it when all is done and dusted. You’ll want to treasure your toddlers handprint art forever!
Tips for handprint arts and crafts with toddlers
1. Get the right materials
For babies and toddlers with their sensitive skin, you want to use non-toxic washable paint. Try:
These paints won’t drip and wash off easily. The pack includes 6 classic colors.
Another tempera paint that comes in powdered form making it a little cheaper.
For more baby-safe paint options, check out: 23 Best paints & materials for baby hand & footprint crafts
Cardstock is best for handprint crafts.
2. Prepare ahead
Have your cardstock and paints laid out, wipes and bucket of soapy water to hand, but out of reach of your baby or toddler.
3. Dress yourself and your baby/toddler appropriately!
If it is warm enough, strip your baby down to their nappy. Or dress them (and yourself) in clothes you don’t mind getting covered in paint.
4. Try this to get a good clean print
From experience, the best way is to get a paintbrush and paint the hand and foot directly. This means you can get a good even distribution of paint.
For a good print, separate your baby’s fingers by gently squeezing the knuckles and pressing down firmly onto the paper.
5. Distraction can help with wriggly ones!
Turn on the TV, sing or make up a story while you paint your child’s hands and print onto paper. For feet it can be a little easier as you can give them something to play with while you’re busy.
Free Valentine’s handprint templates
Handprint Flower Bouquet
Who wouldn’t want to receive this beautifully made handprint flower bouquet? I would happily receive this bouquet of handprint flowers rather than the real ones.
Guess Whooo Loves You Valentine Owl
Let this little owl steal your heart this Valentine’s Day. Just add their cute little hands to make the wings to finish the owl. Fun and easy!
I Love You Handprint Craft
This Valentine’s handprint craft is a precious way to remember their cute little handprint and footprints. Paint their hands and feet and press them onto this template. Once dry, you can place them in a frame and hang on your wall.
Valentine’s Handprint Love Bug Craft
Can Valentine’s handprint art get any cuter than this? To finish this cute little love bug, use their fingerprints for the dots. Makes it more personalized, don’t you think?
Handprint Heart Craft for Valentine’s
Want to do some handprint art with a baby? Here’s a simple Valentine’s handprint template perfect for the littlest hands.
Go ahead and grab the free handprint templates to get started.
More Valentines craft for toddlers to make:
Excited for Christmas? Take a look at these:
- 55 cute Christmas crafts for toddlers
- 50 Christmas crafts for preschoolers
- 43 easy-peasy Christmas activities for toddlers & preschoolers
- Salt dough Christmas tree ornaments to make with toddlers
- 45 adorable Christmas ornaments for kids of all ages
- Homemade snowman Christmas card to make with your toddlers
- Silver pasta Christmas tree ornaments
- Santas real mailing address – letters to Santa free printable
- FREE 3d paper Christmas ornament templates for kids (toddlers too!)
- Paper plate Santa craft for toddlers and young kids
- Upcycled Christmas card collage for kids to make
- 50 Christmas sensory activities & bins for toddlers & preschoolers
- 25 easy FAKE SNOW sensory bins & sensory play activities for kids this winter
Keep your toddler busy at home with these fun and easy activities:
- 39 simple & sanity-saving activities for toddlers & preschoolers to do at home
- 49 Simple & fun outdoor activities for preschoolers
- Marble rolling: easy art activity for toddlers & preschoolers
- 50+ Indoor gross motor activities for toddlers & preschoolers (1,2 & 3 year olds)
- 40 Fun & easy dinosaur activities for preschoolers (arts, crafts, sensory + more!)
- 50 Fun Transportation Crafts & Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- 100 fun & easy toilet paper roll crafts for toddlers 2 & 3 years old
- 39 Fun & easy arts & crafts for 1 – 2 year olds
- 10+ Fun & simple dry messy play ideas for 1 and 2-year-olds
- 21 Easy Finger Painting Ideas For Babies 1-2 Years Old
- DIY twist-top boards: fine motor & fun learning for little ones
It’s never too early for Easter! Bookmark these for later.
- 19 Cute & simple Easter activities for babies (sensory, art & more!)
- 50 Easy Easter Bunny Arts & Crafts Ideas For Toddlers (2 and 3 year olds)
- 75 easy fun Easter crafts and activities for 3 years olds
- 40+ Easy Easter crafts for toddlers (minimal prep, minimal mess = minimal stress!)